Thursday, January 30, 2014

~Thing #5~

While I agree that certain technologies should be introduced to the classroom, I don't fully agree that Web 2.0 is the future of education. While changing and integrating technology in a classroom is inevitable, completely relying on it is a mistake. Someone that hand-write's their notes are more likely to memorize a fact faster than someone that types it out, and with so much information out there, the line between facts and opinions become blurred.

School 2.0 to me means integrating certain technologies into the classroom. For example, I love the use of the Smart Board in class, and I think things like YouTube, Tumblr, and other blogging sites can be very helpful in class. However, many hours of the general adolescent's day is enveloped in if not a laptop, then their computer, and I believe physical social interaction should be encouraged at school more than integrating technology.

For schools of the future, students will have better ways of accessing information and sharing information. They will also get many more viewpoints of a subject and learn new ways to do math or faster ways to learn science. On the flip side, other aspects of a child's education may be hindered, considering how even on my Mac now I don't have to be too tedious of how I type because it automatically corrects me.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree that while technology should be integrated into the classroom, because it can certainly enrich learning and instructional material, it should not completely take over the classroom. I have not yet posted my "thing 5", so I won't go into too much detail about my opinions on the matter, but I believe that all students should be able to rely on basic things like pencil and paper, know how to spell correctly without the constant help of word-check, and be able to use a real-physically-bound dictionary to aid in definitions and spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad continues to tell me to this day that technology has done many great things in the world but it's also done its fair share of harm. I agree that technology won't and shouldn't take over the classroom. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete